- 08.00 – 09.00
- Breaking the Enigma: Registration & Networking
- 09.00 – 09.05
- Introduction & Opening Remarks: Abeed Rhemtulla, MD of The Enigma Group of companies and Enigma Data Labs
- 09.05 – 09.10
- Opening and Welcome Speech by Conference Chairman: Dr. Fathi Tarada, Managing Director – Mosen Ltd, United Kingdom
- 09.10 – 09.45 :
FIXED FIRE FIGHTING SYSTEMS, THE NEXT CHALLENGE FOR TUNNEL SAFETY: design, operation and maintenance
- Effectiveness of tunnel Fixed Fire Fighting Systems (FFFS): comparison between Foam-Water, Low Pressure Water Mist and High Pressure water mist;
- Cost-Benefit analysis: why and in which kind of tunnel FFFS are cost effective?
- FFFS maintenance issues compared to other systems in underground transport facilities;
- Some ideas for related Risk Assessment calculation in road tunnels.
Ing. Salvatore Giua, Chairman of the PIARC Italian Technical Committee on “Road tunnels operation, Italy
- 09.45 – 10.20
- 10.20 – 10.55
An overview of the Northern Line Extension “NLE” tunneling and the principles to incentivize the control of tunnel related ground movement
- Overview of the NLE project and brief timeline of progress.
- Review of NLE tunneling methodologies.
- Overview of tunnel related ground movement and associated defects in properties above.
Successful principles used to incentivize the Contractors control of ground movement.
Jonathan Cooper, Project Manager : NLE and Silvertown Tunnel Projects – Transport for London, United Kingdom
- 10.55 – 11.20
Networking Tea/Coffee Break
- 11.20 – 11.55
From Object Safety to System Safety
- A tunnel is part of many sytems. Why do we design them as stand alone constructions?
- What are the new risks whe have to include in our design? And which instruments are available?
- A Dutch programme to identify this problems and explore possible solutions
Ron Beij, Head Officer – Amsterdam Fire Department (Brandweer Amsterdam-Amstelland), Netherlands
- 11.55 – 12.15
Andrew Mckinlay – Mystery Artist
- 12.15 – 13.00
Case Study on terrorist incident in a Tunnel: Brussels 22nd March, 2016 Metro attack – An account from the first few on the scene
- Belgian legal framework for crisis management
- The preparation and the experience of the Brussels fire department before the attacks of Paris (november 2015)
- The preparation of the fire department during the period between the attacks of Paris
- The day of the 22th march
- The actions after the attacks
Nicolas Jalet, Captain - Fire brigade Brussels (SIAMU-DBMH), Belgium
- 13.00 - 14.00
- 14.00 - 14.35
Presentation on Motorways Tunnels Safety and Operation
Irfan Unal, Deputy Director of Highways and Tunnel Construction - Yuksel Project-EMAY-Chodai J.V, Turkey
- 14.35 - 15.10
- 15.10 – 15.30
- Andrew Mckinlay – Mystery Artist
- 15.30 - 16.05
Underground Structures of High Speed Two
Colin Rawlings, Lead Engineer (Underground Structures) – High Speed Two (HS2) Ltd, United Kingdom
- 16.05 – 16.30
- Networking Tea/Coffee Break
- 16.30 – 17.05
16.30 The Brenner Base Tunnel: The project, the goals, the risk policy
- Project description
- Construction methods and risk policy
Raffaele Zurlo, CEO – Brenner Basis Tunnel, Italy
- 17.05 – 17.55
- Panel Discussion on How to Improve Tunnel Operations and Advance its Construction, Design and Safety Features
Chair: Dr. Fathi Tarada, Managing Director – Mosen Ltd, United Kingdom
- Design and Construction phase - rising challenges during operation and construction whilst maintaining safety
- Maintenance phase: Issues faced due to new & upcoming future propulsion technologies and development of Intelligent Transport Systems, connected objects, intelligent sensors, smartphones etc.
- Planning & Executing Renovation projects and incorporating new technologies
- Enhancing Incident Response whilst maintaining safe traffic flow
- 17.55 – 18.00
- Closing Remarks by Conference Chairman
- End of Day One